Teachers of Chemistry and/or Biology (A-level, AP, IB)
Provide high quality lessons and support for students following Kings international university preparation programmes at Kings Seoul.
Kings centre in Seoul, Gangnam District, between Gangnam Station and Shinnonhyeon Station
Type of contract:
Full-time or part-time, employed directly by Kings local school partner: Edm
Full-time (40 working hours a week, range of 15-25 teaching + lab practical hours per term, 4 terms a year (Sept-early Dec, Jan-April, April-June, June-July). During non-term time, teacher will be expected to prepare courses, revise teaching materials, etc., unless taking personal leave/taking allotted vacation time. Teacher will be required to teach both Chemistry and Biology subjects for full-time position.
Part-time (15 hours a week up to 30 hours a week), depending on term and student demand.
Reporting to Academic Centre Director, Keera Smith
Dates: From August/September 2021
The Chemistry and/or Biology teacher is responsible for the tuition and academic support for students following Kings university preparation programmes at the Kings International Partnership centres.
The centres will deliver Kings English language and preparatory programmes for student progression, via Kings, to leading universities in the UK and USA. Programmes delivered will include Kings Advanced Level Foundation (UK curriculum).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach small groups of students in line with the syllabus and assessment criteria to enable students to achieve outstanding progress and development.
- Ensure all lessons are well planned with clear aims and learning objectives.
- Be sensitive, adaptable and differentiate learning with appreciation and empathy for students’ linguistic and cultural influences, individual learning styles and abilities.
- Foster a positive and collaborative atmosphere and approach to learning whilst also encouraging students to become independent learners who are actively engaged in and take responsibility for their own learning and progress.
- Contribute positively to the efficient running of the centre, working collaborative with colleagues, developing resources and maintaining administrative records as required.
- Be committed to CPD, always seeking ways to improve and take full advantage of advice, support and training opportunities.
- Promote the values and ethos of Kings and the centre at all times.
The successful candidate will offer a robust combination of drive, experience and personal qualities which lead to the development of successful working relationships with students and colleagues and the delivery of outstanding learning opportunities, student progress and outcomes.
Minimum requirement: Practical Lab experience in Chemistry and/or Biology, Fluency in English, teaching experience in the classroom
The strongest candidates will:
- Have a degree in Chemistry and/or Biology or strongly-related fields and teaching experience in the subject of Chemistry and/or Biology within the A-level, AP, and or IB curriculum.
- Practical Lab teaching experience for high school to university aged students.
- Be qualified to a minimum of undergraduate degree level, with additional relevant teaching qualifications and fluency in English (minimum equivalent to IELTS 7.5 for non-native speakers).
- Have a teaching specialism at sixth-form/senior high school/young adult level in English language and/or core academic subjects.
- Be innovative classroom practitioners, able to deliver lessons which inspire and motivate students, contextualise learning and bring their subject to life.
- Have experience in academic performance management and assessment.
- Be supportive and motivational professionals, with excellent team-working, administration, communication and student mentoring skills.
- Demonstrate good judgement, problem-solving skills, emotional and cultural empathy and intelligence, integrity, resilience, flexibility, energy, authority and a good sense of humour.
- Prefer instructors who are currently living in Korea and have obtained a work visa.
How to apply
To apply for this position or to request further information please contact:
Academic Director Keera Smith